PROBLEM

Company was spending ~$60,000-$70,000/month trying to use Hadoop for analytics purposes. Nothing was working.

RESULT

Created a data pipeline into Redshift from Hadoop source to save the company ~.5M/yr using Matillion ETL/ELT for Redshift.

PROBLEM

Two departments were manually updating spreadsheets with financial data from emails. This led to human-error and being very slow.

RESULT

Using BASH, VIM, psql, CRON, a custom configuration of an Amazon S3 storage bucket & simple emailing code, I automated both systems. Hourly, a new Redshift table was updated with appended date in title while simultaneously a spreadsheet (requirements!) was generated for the non-technical people, I appended headers for the spreadsheet by pulling the updated sheet in S3 to EC2, appended them, then simultaneously sent out an email to those that needed to be informed with spreadsheet attached + created an archival version of S3 where each sheet was stored as the email went out so recipients of emails could look if they needed to look back in time.

PROBLEM

Three corporations were merging & each had their own web presence, globally. I was to use the Tridion Content Management System which at the time only used classic asp & vbscript when I was taught in a .NET world. No one else at the company knew how to use the Tridion Content Management System.

RESULT

I discovered behind the scenes Tridion was translating the code to XML, XSD, XPath & XSLT. I wrote everything learning those technologies & discovered how to merge the content generated on the server with .NET Master Pages & thus served to clients as .NET pages. I published the site in 7 different languages, including Chinese & Japanese, being the first person in the USA to have a live Tridion CMS site.

NATIONAL CONTEST BY MICROSOFT

Seven months before the Windows 7 operating system was released, Microsoft held a National Competition with hand-picked Microsoft Partners that already had awesome working apps ready to show investors. All they needed to do was incorporate some of the touch & sensor functionalities to their existing apps. One company dropped out the Friday before the week-long competition, so “unemployed developers” (beginning of housing bust) could go just to learn. I met Mike that Monday, we had to come up with an application to make asap, & on Friday was the competition. We brought in a UI/UX person from Mexico, Gerardo, to do the frontend.

RESULT

WE WON MOST POINTS! We couldn’t win “Best Company” because we weren’t a company (we were called “Team 5”), so we were given the award “Best Technology”…BUT WE WON MOST POINTS! Please note in this video, both Mike & I had practically no sleep the whole week so I was tongue-tied. There’s a much better, eloquently-spoken  audio version of what the app did recorded when we were on KTLA talk radio with The Digital Doctor.

PROBLEM

An entrepreneur in India wanted to create a mobile competition framework that could be used by companies to hold contests and award the winners with prizes from their companies. They didn’t have much of an idea of where to start with this project.

RESULT

I managed a multi-national team of developers and designers to create and launch the app on iPhone & Android, Gerardo made this website for the app, & I grew the initial concept into a competition framework that could be used for many, many reasons. It caught the attention of top tech leaders in the US.